Every year as it gets close to certain holidays or birthdays, women will ask me what kinds of fishing gifts are most wanted by avid anglers. Of course these items can vary a bit depending on the area, but there are plenty of things that every angler can use and that we are always in need of. Here are my suggestions on the 5 most wanted fishing gifts under $40:
- Fluorocarbon Leader Line. Anglers tend to go through plenty of leader line depending on the areas where they fish. A few spools of 10 to 15-pound fluorocarbon leader material will make a good gift. Fluorocarbon isn’t as visible to fish in the water as braid tends to be. I usually purchase either Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon Leader or Yo-Zuri H.D. Carbon Fluorocarbon Leader at Cabela’s or Bass Pro Shops for between $8.99 and $11.99 a spool.
- Offset Hooks. Quality offset hooks will be truly appreciated by anyone who fishes on a regular basis. Good hooks can be expensive, but can also make a BIG difference when it comes to landing a lunker. I am a huge fan of Eagle Claw’s Lazer Trokar Hooks since they are made using a patent pending surgically sharpened technology and high carbon steel… the only problem is that I would go broke buying them every few weeks, so they would make a most welcome gift. Lazer Trokar Hooks can be purchased at Bass Pro Shops or Cabela’s for around $6.99 for a package of 5 hooks.
- Soft Plastic Baits. Bass hit them, they get caught on branches, rocks and bottom… you can never have enough soft plastic baits. Some bass anglers like craws, some like stickbaits, some like ribbon-tail worms, some like shad. To keep in line with a holiday theme, you can buy a few packs of the Gambler Aces in “Xmas” for about $5 per pack of 5 baits.
- Pliers with Line Cutters. Every angler should have a back up pair of pliers with built-in line cutters. P-Line pliers cost around $39 and can be purchased from Cabela’s or Bass Pro Shops. They work great for removing hooks and will even cut braided line.
- “SHUT UP AND FISH!” Jersey Tees. These tees make great gifts for lady anglers at $22 each. Made from 100% cotton, they are fun and comfortable both on the water and off.